LocatED, the Department for Education’s property company is recruiting a Development Surveyor to help deliver a variety of development projects, especially mixed-use and developer-led schemes. This will include master planning, appraisal, formulation and delivery of complex mixed-use schemes for school sites.
In addition to the above, the role will include assisting the wider LocatED teams on site acquisitions and disposals, providing specialist development input, where required, to support the delivery of new schools, the disposal of surplus sites and the provision of commercial property advice to the DfE land transactions team. We are looking for someone with the drive and determination to deliver at pace as well as a willingness to learn from our experienced delivery teams.
LocatED’s work covers a wide variety of property related issues across the English education estate and offers the opportunity to work on a broad range of projects delivering education, housing and commercial development.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Identifying creative options for alternative use of parts of school buildings or sites to maximise value, potentially including teacher/key working housing, private housing, commercial space, enhanced sports and leisure and also third-party income uses
- Managing the preparation of feasibility studies, planning assessments and masterplans including liaising with internal and external teams, schools and DfE colleagues
- Working with specialist teams in LocatED to prepare outline budgets, agree development strategies, carry out planning pre-application work and in some cases, prepare planning applications, to secure planning permission and procure development partners
- Developing and implementing procurement and delivery strategies, including the use of development management agreements and developer frameworks, ensuring commercial and technical risks are carefully managed
- Working with the transaction teams on the disposal and acquisition of land to ensure best
- Assist with the preparation of reports for the Investment Committee and obtaining
Investment Committee approval
- Ensuring projects are delivered on time and within budget to the desired quality
- Establishing a reputation with clients and colleagues as a source of development expertise.
Key skills and requirements:
To be successful in this role you will need:
- To be a Qualified Chartered Surveyor (MRICS)
- A good understanding of the entire development process, the range of deal structures available to deliver mixed-use schemes, and the technical skills needed to deliver them
- Knowledge of current market conditions in the UK property markets and appreciation of the drivers impacting decision making
- A good understanding of how joint ventures between the public and private sector work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work well with key stakeholders at all levels
- Understand development and joint ventures arrangements and the technical aspects of development delivery
- To be a self-starter with capacity to work on own initiative
- To possess strong IT capabilities in Microsoft packages.
In return we offer:
- A basic salary of up to £50,000 depending on experience
- 25 days annual leave increasing with service up to 28 days plus statutory holidays
- A matched pension scheme for contributions up to 6%
- The opportunity to earn up to 20% of salary in an annual performance related pay scheme
- The ability to access training and other continuing professional development opportunities
- Various discounts with popular retailers
- Ability to work from home – needs to be based in London/South East with ability to travel to London as required
Equality, diversity and inclusion is fundamental to the continuing success at LocatED. We welcome applications from everyone as we value the uniqueness that individuals can bring to our business. We are committed to promoting diversity and developing an environment where all employees are treated with dignity.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter detailing how your skills, experience and qualifications match this role to careers@LocatED.co.uk.
The closing date for applications is 2 June 2022.