LocatED, the Department for Education’s property company is recruiting a Senior Surveyor/Associate to work across its property and development teams. This is a market facing role in a fast-paced organisation with a strong reputation for delivering best in class
projects across the education property sector. Since 2017 LocatED has acquired 196 sites across England for the free schools programme and is delivering innovative mixed-use schemes, including the award-winning Fulham Boys’ School, which also provide much needed housing.
The role is to lead property transactions in the education land and sector. It requires the postholder to take ownership of the full life cycle of acquisitions and disposals from identifying and appraising the opportunity through to finalising contracts and completing the deal. You will work closely with the development and asset management teams, as well as providing bespoke property advice to key stakeholders such as the DfE and schools.
We are looking for someone with the drive and determination to deliver at pace against a challenging and ever-changing education and economic backdrop. Experience in land and property transactions is essential but sector specific knowledge is not required.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Applying your experience in property identification and negotiation to ensure acquisition commissions are met, ensuring the highest possible client satisfaction
- Working at pace, utilising market knowledge and experience to achieve the optimum outcome for the department which adhering to Managing Public Money (MPM) principles
- Building relationships with agents, developers, investors, schools and local planning authorities in order to leverage these networks to support property disposals
- Managing the end-to-end transaction life cycle, being held to account for project progress and achieving the most appropriate exits for land held by the Department
- Ensuring the highest levels of communications including the required liaison with a range of internal and external parties throughout the process
- Obtaining Executive Team, Investment Committee and DfE approvals for acquisition and disposal strategies the post holder has responsibility for
- Managing the work of internal and external property, technical and legal advisors, including serving as the instructing party for external legal advisors
- Taking responsibility for deal closure, ensuring that all parties involved execute all requirements in a timely manner, namely through liaising with the appointed disposal agents and solicitors
- Maintaining a reputation with clients and colleagues as a source of property expertise.
Key skills and requirements:
To be successful in this role you will need:
- To be a qualified Chartered Surveyor (MRICS/FRICS)
- Knowledge of national, regional or local property markets
- Understanding of the town planning system
- The ability to develop network of contracts with landowners, institutional investors, developers and local authorities
- Demonstrable commercial awareness of the property market, market norms and best practice
- A track record of identifying and supporting the negotiation and executing acquisitions and disposals with landowners, developers, house builders and institutional investors.
In return we offer:
- A basic salary of up to £65,000 depending on experience
- 25 days annual leave increasing with service up to 28 days plus statutory holidays
- A matched pension scheme for contributions up to 6%
- The opportunity to earn up to 20% of salary in an annual performance related pay scheme
- The ability to access training and other continuing professional development opportunities
- Various discounts with popular retailers
- Ability to work from home – needs to be based in London/South East with ability to travel to London as required
Equality, diversity and inclusion is fundamental to the continuing success at LocatED. We welcome applications from everyone as we value the uniqueness that individuals can bring to our business. We are committed to promoting diversity and developing an environment where all employees are treated with dignity.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter detailing how your skills, experience and qualifications match this role to careers@LocatED.co.uk.
The closing date for applications is 2 June 2022.