LocatED, the Department for Education’s property company is recruiting a Surveyor to work across its property and development teams. This is a market facing role in a fast-paced organisation with a strong reputation for delivering best in class projects across the education property sector. Since 2017 LocatED has acquired 196 sites across England for the free schools programme and is delivering innovative mixed-use schemes, including the award-winning Fulham Boys’ School, which also provide much needed housing.
The role is to support senior members of the team with property transactions in the education land sector. The post-holder will be involved in the full life cycle of acquisitions and disposals from identifying and appraising the opportunity through to finalising contracts and completing the deal. You will work closely with the development and asset management teams, as well as providing bespoke property advice to key stakeholders such as the DfE and schools.
We are looking for someone with the drive and determination to deliver at pace as well as a willingness to learn from our experienced delivery teams.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Working at pace, utilising market knowledge to support the identification, assessment and acquisition of good value sites for new schools
- Building relationships with landowners, institutional investors, developers and local authorities and leverage these networks to secure site opportunities
- Assisting in the preparation and presentation of reports to LocatED’s Investment Committee to gain approval for transactions including assessing site suitability, managing technical and planning input, tenure, deal structure, legal implications etc.
- Supporting the closure of deals working closely with our legal advisors to enable an effective exchange of contracts, ensuring the necessary approvals are in place
- Assisting in the management of conditional contracts, from exchange to completion, assisting the DfE Project Director to comply with contractual obligations through the feasibility and planning stages
- Acting for the DfE to prepare property transaction advice, having regard to government guidance on best value and school legal and space standards. Also providing commercial property advice acting for both landlord and tenant and referring to contracts, leases, covenants etc.
- Maintaining RICS CPD and attending market updates, reporting back via presentations to the rest of the team
- Assisting with graduates and apprentices working towards their APC assessment imparting lessons learnt, assisting in mock assessments and providing coaching where necessary.
Key skills and requirements:
To be successful in this role you will need:
- To be a Qualified Chartered Surveyor (MRICS)
- Knowledge of the town planning laws and processes
- Proven experience of land acquisitions, agency advice and disposals
- The ability to develop a network of contracts with landowners, institutional investors, developers and local authorities
- Demonstrable commercial awareness of the property market, market norms and best practice
- To be able to offer independent reasoned responses
- To continually seek to broaden your own technical skills set by taking responsibility for your own personal development
- To possess strong IT capabilities in Microsoft packages
In return we offer:
- A basic salary of up to £50,000 depending on experience
- 25 days annual leave increasing with service up to 28 days plus statutory holidays
- A matched pension scheme for contributions up to 6%
- The opportunity to earn up to 20% of salary in an annual performance related pay scheme
- The ability to access training and other continuing professional development opportunities
- Various discounts with popular retailers
- Ability to work from home – needs to be based in London/South East with ability to travel to London as required
Equality, diversity and inclusion is fundamental to the continuing success at LocatED. We welcome applications from everyone as we value the uniqueness that individuals can bring to our business. We are committed to promoting diversity and developing an environment where all employees are treated with dignity.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter detailing how your skills, experience and qualifications match this role to careers@LocatED.co.uk.
The closing date for applications is 2 June 2022.