We care about the impact we have on the world around us, and we are committed to helping build a sustainable future for the communities we serve.
As a government-owned property company, we have a role to play in all aspects of sustainability: environmental, social, and economic. A lot of the work we do occurs in the ‘pre-feasibility’ stage, such as assessing a site before anything is acquired, sold, designed, or built. However, we keep sustainability in mind when exploring and evaluating opportunities, and we align our environmental approach to wider government aims and strategies.
We are actively engaged with the Department for Education’s Design and Technical Teams in exploring the 2021 Output Specification for new school projects involving the refurbishment and re-use of existing buildings. This is to ensure that the upcycling of appropriate existing building components is considered and optimised.
We also seek to maximise the use, productivity, and value of the assets we manage on behalf of the government, to benefit the communities the sites are located in. Our Asset Management Team works closely with our facilities management supplier to find greener solutions on-site, such as:
- Redeploying solar panels
- Recycling any surplus materials, furniture, or equipment
- Minimising energy and water usage wherever possible
- Employing award-winning V-Mesh reusable fencing, as opposed to wood and concrete-based hoardings, to create carbon savings
- Using SentriKey smart technology to manage access onto sites remotely, to provide better security and reduce miles travelled by key holders.
We look for greener ways to achieve our objectives and to reduce our energy consumption. Although we work across England, we employ a sustainable travel plan, to significantly reduce travel and fuel use. We have also cut waste through office-based initiatives such as:
- Recycling material waste and cutting material usage
- Energy efficient premises
- Electricity and energy-saving practices
- Educating staff and promoting environmental initiatives in the workplace.
Our Sustainability Working Group aims to identify and put in place initiatives that lead to efficiencies and lessen any environmental impact we may have.
Across LocatED, we undertake volunteering opportunities that benefit our local communities and the environment. Find out more about volunteering here.